So what exactly are mom jeans? Well, for comfort and cool, mom jeans combine your favourite high-waisted skinnies with that statement boyfriend style, ensuring that ‘versatile’ is the real unique selling point. We’ve chosen 15 of the best mom jeans out there to suit different figures and styles, favourite looks for all occasions, as well as celebrity inspiration.
A Flattering Fashion Staple
The great thing about mom jeans is how they skim the body, rather than hug it. These high-waisted jeans conceal lumps and bumps, so you feel confident in what you’re wearing. Adding a belt to cinch in the waist ensures that attention is drawn to all the right places, and finishing the look off with an oversized cardigan gives a really relaxed vibe. The tapered leg can also be rolled up or down to add some definition and uniqueness. So whether you’re curvy or petite, tall or short, there is definitely a mom jeans outfit with your name on – day or night!
Celebrities are Loving the Mom Jean
If you’re still not sure whether this look is for you, see how some of the most loved celebrities are styling their mom jeans, from tall and slim to petite and curvy. Remember that mom jeans can be both baggy or more fitted around the hip area, it just depends what works for you.
Models of the moment – Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner – can’t get enough of this style:
Our favourite popstars are also loving the ripped mom denim look:
How To Style Your Mom Jeans
We know what you’re thinking: are high waisted jeans back in style? Well yes, ladies, the 90s have well and truly made a comeback with these high-waisted oversized jeans, but the styling has certainly got a 2017 edge. The key to making them work starts with tucking (or half tucking) everything in to accentuate that waistline. But that’s just the beginning. These jeans can work for both work and play. Here’s how:
Mom Jeans for the Office
A crisp white shirt tucked in, teamed with a long tailored coat and loafers or smart brogues, will certainly turn heads as you get to your desk. Add some statement or delicate jewellery to complete the look. Whoever said workwear had to be ill-fitting suits or uncomfortable pencil skirts?
Mom Jeans for the Weekend
It’s time for something more relaxed, so go for ripped blue jeans, rolled up and paired with your favourite chunky trainers. A simple t-shirt, bomber jacket and a huge scarf will complete the outfit during the colder months, whereas a more delicate top will work brilliantly for summer. If you just can’t wait for the warmer weather, Zara has some amazing ways of layering lace – the look works so well with a pair of mom jeans.
Mom Jeans for the Evening
Why not try pairing your statement stilettos with either black mom jeans or light denim jeans for an evening do? Off the shoulder, or plunging figure hugging tops are the perfect pairing, complete with a choker that’s bang on trend. A tucked in lacy or sheer top also gives an interesting contrast if you wanted to go for something more subtle.
Our Top 15 Mom Jeans
The high street is the best place to find variety, styles and cuts to suit you (and your budget).
- Topshop mom jeans are the ones to go for if you’re looking for something a bit more ‘out there’. From limited edition gem stones to beautifully embroidered flowers, the darkest denim to the lightest, the variety is certainly for the fashion forward to enjoy. You can even find a pair covered in graffiti print this season!
- Boohoo and Asos provide more options for curvier and petite women, whilst still offering an extensive range of styles. You’ll find over 170 of them on Asos, and Boohoo even feature there too.
- Zara seemed to start the patchwork trend with mom jeans and have some real statement pieces in different denim colours.
- River Island have focused on distressed and ripped blue denim for a more vintage feel. Pair them with gorgeous heels for a winning look.
- If you’re feeling flush and prefer something more classic, Tommy Hilfiger may be the one for you. These are certainly a pair that are built to last and can be found at Selfridges.
- Net-a-porter is also a great place to find high-end pieces. Brands such as House of Holland, Dolce and Gabbana and Christopher Kane are loving the appliquéd look on denim.
- New Look probably have the most affordable selection, combining the most popular designs that Topshop and Zara have showcased but at half the price. If you’re hoping to invest in more than one pair, this may well be the place to do so.
- Missguided have gone for some more edgy designs, with lots of rips and a wider choice of darker colours if you’re looking for a pair that will suit the evening.
- Urban Outfitters epitomise difference and diversity, and their mom jeans certainly don’t disappoint. If you fancy a splash of colour, then this is the place to find it.
10 Final Tips for Styling Your Mom Jeans
- Shop around. Try a variety of styles and sizes (boyfriend jeans vs mom jeans, for example), to see which suits you and your personality best.
- Think about how you want to wear them: is one pair versatile enough to suit day and night?
- Let the jeans do the talking. Keep the rest of the look simple, particularly if you’ve gone for embroidery or patterns on the denim.
- Roll up the bottoms to show your ankles and elongate the leg.
- Go for something more figure hugging on top to balance out the oversized look of the jeans. It will make the overall outfit more feminine, too.
- Contrasting footwear works so well, from heels to ankle boots to pretty pumps – take your pick!
- A belt accentuates the waistline and also adds a feminine touch.
- A smart, long coat gives the look an edge. A real winner at the moment is leopard print. Pair with heels or flats and you can’t go wrong.
- A darker shade of denim is more transitional from work wear to party wear.
- Team a cute pair of ankle socks with your chunky boots. Not only will they keep your feet warm during the winter, but also this look is bang on trend right now.
Shopping Trip, Anyone?
You should now have a better idea of how mom jeans can be worn in so many different ways. All that’s left to do is step away from those standard skinnies that you always reach for, hit the high street, and try something new.
Read more great articles on women’s fashion.
Last reviewed and updated on March 30, 2023