Yes, you read that right! Today, we are leaving behind the high-street, fresh-off-the-runway trends to embark on a journey of elegance and nostalgia. We will delve into the treasure trove of 15 chic, discontinued Louis Vuitton bags you need to get your hands on for an irresistible vintage appeal. Each of these beauties exudes an aura of sophistication, the taste of timeless elegance, and an undeniable statement of utterly unparalleled style.
These bags make a statement, but each carries a story, a piece of history. From the creative arc of Louis Vuitton’sVuitton’s illustrious design journey to the unspoken narratives of past owners, these vintage bags represent a wealth of records waiting to be unlocked. By the time you’re you’re done reading this post, not only will you be an expert in recognizing and appreciating these vintage gems, but you’ll also have the lowdown on where to find them, how to authenticate them, and how to style them for that perfect, captivating vintage look.
So, are you ready to join me on this journey back in time, where we’ll rediscover the classics, the allure of the discontinued, and the undeniable charm of Louis Vuitton? Remember, darling, fashion is not just about staying up to date; sometimes, it’s about returning in time. Stay with me, and let’slet’s explore the realm of chic, vintage luxury together.
Ah, the Eva Clutch. I remember carrying it to a cafe date and getting a few impressed glances. Its Damier Ebene coated canvas design and the brass wristlet strap are stunning and versatile. And who can resist that red-lined interior peeking through? Such a charmer!
The Pallas BB is the epitome of a classy work bag. I’veI’ve personally toted it to several meetings, and it never fails to fetch compliments. The rolled top handles, the front, and back pockets, and that iconic LV monogram – it’sit’s the bag every professional needs
If the Pallas BB is the older, sophisticated sister, the Pallas Clutch is the fun-loving younger one. It’sIt’s the classic LV monogram canvas with a twist – a navy blue leather trim. I recall it being my go-to for evening dinners.
DOUBLE V BAG
This one? Pure style. With its two V-shaped flaps, it it’s a mood by itself. Have fun playing with its look—flip the top flap for a different vibe. Oh, and I love how the monogram print gets a double feature.
Released in 2009 and still looking fresh. The Damier Ebene coated canvas is not only stylish but so durable. The front pocket is just perfect for quick grabs (think lip gloss or cards).
Ah, the Berkeley bag. It gives me significant late-2000s vibes. A tad more glamorous than the Speedy bag, its Damier Azur coated canvas and the patina-developing Vachetta leather trim always turn heads.
If bags were celebrities, the Trouville would be an A-lister from the early 2000s. I especially adore the multicolor monogram version—a collaboration with Takashi Murakami. That raspberry red interior? A sweet surprise.
Perfect for a coffee run or a fancy evening – the old version of the Favorite bag is always ready. The delicate chain strap and the magnetic front flap closure with that iconic LV monogram canvas are just show-stoppers
For the practical fashionistas out there, the Manhattan tote is your BFF. Those two front pockets and the spacious interior make it a win-win in functionality and style.
MABILLON SHOULDER BAG
Lastly, the Mabillon. This messenger-style beauty can shift from a workday to a casual outing seamlessly. The adjustable strap is perfect for those who prefer versatility in their accessories.
Who remembers the splash the Delightful tote made when it hit the scene in 2010? The buzz around this bag was palpable in the fashion community. Though it was replaced by the Graceful tote in 2017, its legacy remains. You’llYou’ll find this gem in various finishes, including that iconic LV monogram and the classy Damier Ebene canvas. The leather shoulder strap and brass hardware make this tote a statement piece. I once found a lovely Delightful at a vintage shop, and trust me, it lived up to its name!
RETIRO NM HANDBAG
Inspired by the shape of bowling bags, the Retiro handbag is a blend of class and convenience. Fashioned from LV’sLV’s trademark monogram canvas and trimmed in black leather, this bag exudes a uniform charm. I’veI’ve always been a fan of its gold hardware, especially the clochette, lock, and keys – it’sit’s Louis Vuitton at its finest! That red microfibre lining? It adds just the right pop of color.
The Tivoli bag brings back memories! Launched in 2000, this piece became a favorite for many throughout the decade. With its wide sides, central crease, and the ever-alluring LV charm top zip, it has a unique and elegant silhouette. And if you’re all about comfort, the vachetta leather adjustable handles are a godsend.
A relatively short-lived design, the Mazarine handbag is a diamond in the rough. Introduced in 2016 and quickly discontinued, finding one feels like a fashion treasure hunt. It’sIt’s a functional masterpiece in chic taupe LV embossed Empreinte leather. For those who crave a dash of color, look out for the stunning red version on resale sites like Fashionphile. With a roomy interior and that snazzy gold hardware, it’sit’s both practical and pretty.
For those who appreciate the minimalist charm, the Looping bag is a dream come true. Its simplicity is its strength. Crafted from the signature LV monogram canvas and paired with a vachetta leather looping shoulder strap, it’sit’s elegance is redefined. The gold zipper is a subtle touch of luxury and a spacious interior. Perfect for all your essentials.
What Is The History And Significance Of Each Of The 15 Discontinued Louis Vuitton Bags Mentioned In The Document?
- History: Named after the model Eva Herzigova, this clutch was a favorite for its versatility.
- Significance: It became synonymous with evening luxury due to its compact design and iconic LV detailing.
- History: Inspired by Greek mythology, the Pallas mix classic Louis Vuitton details with fresh design.
- Significance: The bag’s chic design and versatility made it a favorite for both work and pleasure.
- History: A miniaturized version of the Pallas tote, it carried the same elegant design elements.
- Significance: Its ability to transform from day to night made it an immediate favorite.
DOUBLE V BAG
- History: Introduced as a stylish everyday bag with a unique design twist.
- Significance: Its dual V-shaped flaps made it stand out, giving wearers multiple styles in one bag.
- History: Launched in 2009, its design drew inspiration from the artsy Bloomsbury district in London.
- Significance: The combination of function and style ensured its popularity for the modern woman on the go.
- History: Drawing inspiration from the chic Berkeley Square in London, this bag was a hit in the late 2000s.
- Significance: Marketed as a more glam version of the Speedy bag, it resonated with those wanting luxury with a hint of classic.
- History: Inspired by the coastal town of Trouville in Normandy, France, this bag symbolized luxury travel.
- Significance: Its collaboration with Takashi Murakami gave it a unique edge, especially the multicolor monogram version.
- History: A classic from the LV collection that later got an update, but the older version holds its charm.
- Significance: Its versatility made it a favorite for errands and elegant evenings.
- History: A nod to the busy streets of Manhattan, this bag was designed for the urban traveler.
- Significance: Its functional design and iconic monogram ensured it was both practical and chic.
MABILLON SHOULDER BAG
- History: A newer entry, added in 2015 and discontinued in 2017.
- Significance: Its messenger style design catered to the urban crowd, looking for both style and function.
- History: A bestseller launched in 2010 later paved the way for the Graceful tote.
- Significance: Its laid-back design made it popular for those wanting understated luxury.
RETIRO NM HANDBAG
- History: Drawing inspiration from bowling bags, this design merged vintage charm with modern luxury.
- Significance: The balance of classic and contemporary made it a unique addition to the LV lineup.
- History: Introduced in 2000, this bag ran for over a decade before its discontinuation.
- Significance: Its unique silhouette and classic monogram made it a standout piece.
- History: A brief yet impactful addition to the LV collection in 2016.
- Significance: With its chic design and functionality, it became a favorite for the working professional.
- History: Celebrated for its minimalist design.
- Significance: The bag’s sleek and clean silhouette made it a classic choice for those who appreciate understated elegance.
These bags each carry a unique history and are symbolic of Louis Vuitton’s commitment to timeless luxury. Their discontinuation only adds to their allure and makes them sought-after pieces in fashion.
9 Tips To Authenticate A Vintage Bag
Authenticating vintage Louis Vuitton bags is crucial to ensure you get the real deal, especially since counterfeit products are rampant. Here are some steps to authenticate and places to find these vintage treasures:
- Monogram Placement: The LV monogram is precisely placed, so seams, edges, or stitching don’t cut it off. The monograms should also be symmetrical from side to side.
- Stitching: LV bags have consistent, tight, and even stitching. Irregular or sloppy stitching is a sign of a counterfeit.
- Hardware: Genuine LV bags use high-quality metals. Zippers, clasps, and other hardware should feel heavy and not hollow.
- Date Codes: Introduced in the early 80s, they indicate where and when the bag was made. Note, however, that over time, these can wear off, especially in vintage pieces.
- Interior Stamp: The interior “Louis Vuitton Paris” stamp should be crisp and clear with a specific typeface. Be wary of unclear stamps or misspellings.
- Materials: Louis Vuitton uses various high-quality materials, from coated canvas to genuine leather. The texture, smell, and overall feel should exude quality.
- Heat Stamps: Genuine LV bags have heat stamps that are clear and well-defined.
- Lining: Depending on the model, LV uses a variety of linings, but they’re always of high-quality materials. Any cheap feeling or looking lining is a red flag.
- Use Expert Services: Consider using authentication services or experts who can help verify the authenticity of a bag, especially when dealing with high-priced items.
6 Tips to Find Vintage Louis Vuitton Bags:
- Louis Vuitton Stores: Sometimes they have vintage or older models in stock, or they can help you source one.
- Reputable Resale Shops: Websites like The RealReal, Fashionphile, and Vestiaire Collective have experts who authenticate luxury items before listing.
- Vintage Boutiques: Certain specialty vintage boutiques might carry luxury items.
- Auction Houses: Renowned houses like Christie’s or Sotheby’s sometimes hold luxury or vintage fashion auctions.
- Consignment Shops: High-end consignment shops in affluent neighborhoods can be gold mines for vintage finds.
- Online Marketplaces: Sites like eBay can be a source, but they come with high risks due to counterfeit items. Always ensure the seller has a strong reputation and consider getting the bag authenticated after purchase.
- Estate Sales: These can sometimes yield rare finds, especially in upscale neighborhoods.
- Fashion Forums & Groups: Communities such as The Purse Forum have marketplaces and discussions where members buy and sell bags.
Remember, while hunting for vintage Louis Vuitton bags is thrilling, always exercise caution. It’s better to spend a bit more with a reputable source than to get a deal that’s too good to be true. And once you’ve found that dream bag, consider getting it authenticated for peace of mind.
In wrapping up, fashion enthusiasts, diving into the world of vintage Louis Vuitton bags is a delightful and nostalgic experience. It’sIt’s always thrilling to find and cherish a piece of fashion history. If you’re considering this adventure, always remember to research and verify the authenticity of any vintage purchase to avoid counterfeit items. Invest time in understanding the care these bags require, as age might have made them more delicate. Lastly, whether you’re curating for a collection or finding that standout accessory, remember that vintage shopping is about both the journey and the destination. Embrace the hunt, trust your style instincts, and celebrate every unique find. Fashion is all about self-expression, so wear your vintage LV with pride and enjoy every fashion-forward step you take!
Feature image by Elina Volkova via Pexels
Last reviewed and updated on August 9, 2023