Just when you’d worked out your high top from your hot top, you realise these super fashionable sneakers come in a huge range of styles. From thin high tops to heeled sneakers, here’s our guide to high top trainers and how to style them.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2480764″]
What Are High Tops?
High tops are very much ‘what they say on the tin’: trainers with high tops which reach above your ankle. Within this broad grouping, they can be broken down into two main types – thin and thick.
Thin High Tops
- As the name suggests, they are thin in shape and fit closely to the foot and ankle.
- They are typically made of a light material like canvas, but you can also find them in alternative fabrics like suede, or, as Olivia Palermo stylishly demonstrates, leather.
- The most-coveted styles are Chuck Taylor All Stars (in a rainbow of colours!) or white high top Vans.
Thick High Tops
- As you may have guessed, a thick high top is a bulkier shoe that generally has a loose fit. They are the most like classic sneakers in style, just a lot bigger – a trainer on steroids if you will.
- They are made with padded fabrics such as suede or leather with fabric accents. Black high tops made from leather gives a sporty look, whereas suede can be more chic.
- A classic example is a pair of Nike Air Force 1.
Heeled High Tops
High top sneakers can also have wedge heels cleverly hidden in the design – a god send for us shorter women! Wedges are some of the most comfortable heels to walk in so you can wear these sneakers on-the-go. You can get heels in both thin and thick high tops, but the thicker style – like Beyoncé’s Isabel Marant sneakers in her Love On Top video – are more fashionable and chic.
How to Tie High Tops
If you’ve always wondered how to lace up high tops, then you need to remember this simple rule: the lower you lace them and the looser you tie the laces, the more relaxed your look.
Thin high tops typically have laces. High tops and shorts or skirts look great when the shoe is laced all the way up but, when wearing skinny jeans and high tops, keep the laces loose or tie them midway to avoid making your ankles look oddly thin and your legs wide. Converse’s laces are pretty long, so you can either tuck the excess lace into your shoes or wrap them around your ankles before knotting.
Outfits with High Tops
How to Wear High Top Sneakers with Trousers
How to Wear High Tops with Jeans and Shorts
How to Wear High Top Sneakers with Skirts
How to Wear High Top Sneakers with Dresses
Choosing a Colour
How to Wear High Tops: Key Tips
- High tops are an easy way of adding an element of cool to any outfit.
- Keep your balance – the heavier and bolder the shoe, the simpler and sleeker you should keep the rest of the outfit.
- The looser the laces, the more laid back your look.
- Have fun with colours and prints, but whatever you go for, make sure they don’t clash with the rest of your outfit.
Read more great articles on women’s fashion at alexie.co.