High waisted jeans can be super flattering no matter what your shape or size. This definitive guide introduces the best high rise jeans out there and provides you with essential tips on how to wear them.
High waisted pants can do magical things for a woman’s shape. They elongate short legs yet flatter long pins; accentuate the waist, creating that much desired hourglass figure; not to mention, flatten your tummy and hide any insecurities. Basically, you don’t have to be a supermodel to rock high rise jeans and feel fabulous wearing them.
To get the best out of your high waisted jeans you need to know how they should fit and what to style them with. Whether you’re a bootcut, wide-leg or skinny jeans kind of girl, you’ll find a great high waisted jeans outfit here.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488547″]
How Should High Waisted Jeans Fit?
Before you choose a style, let’s take a look at how your high rise jeans should fit. See the guide below for the best high waist pants for your body type.
High Waisted Jeans for Petite Girls
Petite girls will love the elongating effect that high waisted jeans create. The extra tall leg line gives the illusion of longer legs, which is very flattering for your body shape. High rise skinny jeans in particular will work wonders for you as they create a streamlined look, making you appear taller.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488575″]
High Waisted Jeans for Tall Girls
Tall girls can get away with almost any type, even super high waisted jeans. Experiment with cuts to find the perfect balance to suit your body shape and style. For you, the problem lies in finding the right length. If you’re 5’10 and over, look for an inner leg measurement of at least 30 inches.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488587″]
High Waisted Jeans for Pear Shaped Girls
Pear shapes are curvier on their hips, thighs and bottoms. A wide waistband, and high waisted bootcut, straight or wide-leg jeans will flatter your curves beautifully. If you want to draw attention away from your lower body, choose a dark wash with a light coloured top to draw the eye upwards.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488616″]
High Waisted Jeans for Hourglass Girls
High rise jeans are a great style for showing off your silhouette. Opt for high waisted stretch jeans that contour and hug your waist. Skinny, straight or bootcut jeans will balance your figure well, but avoid the wide-leg.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488651″]
High Waisted Jeans for Curvy Girls
A high waist is far more flattering than a mid-rise for curvy girls. It shapes your body nicely and accentuates the waist, creating a feminine look. The best jeans for you are fitted and contoured, with denim that has a bit stretch.
Look out for pocket placement, too. The back pockets should sit flat and right in the middle. Too high or too low will be unflattering.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488691″]
High Waisted Jeans for Athletic Girls
If you want to create the illusion of curves on your straight and toned body, high waisted pants can do just that. For obvious reasons, avoid straight cuts and instead go for skinny or flared styles to add shape to your silhouette.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2488723″]
The Best High Waisted Jeans
From straight and skinny to wide and flared, we share our top picks in luxury and cheap high waisted jeans.
High Waisted Skinny Jeans
Skinny jeans are super slimming and give the illusion of longer legs. Shop our pick of the best high waisted skinny jeans this season:
High Waisted Bootcut Jeans
Bootcut jeans – or high waist flare jeans – are great for wider hips as the shape balances out your proportions nicely. They also give a nostalgic nod to the retro style which is especially relevant now. Shop our pick of the best high waisted bootcut jeans and high waisted flared jeans this season:
High Waisted Straight-Leg Jeans
If you’re not a fan of showing off your legs, a straight cut will skim over your pins and create a slimming silhouette without the tight fit. A great option for casual outfits too. Shop our pick of the best high waisted straight-leg jeans this season:
High Waisted Wide-Leg Jeans
A wide leg is the ultimate style statement and turns its back on the ever-popular skinny fit. Stand out from the crowd and show off your rebellious side. Shop our pick of the best high waisted wide-leg jeans this season:
How To Style High Waisted Jeans
Should you tuck your top in or leave it out? Go casual or dress up? Sometimes styling a high waist can be confusing. Not to worry! In this guide we show you exactly how to style your high rise jeans.
- A high waist looks great paired with a cropped top. Whether that’s in the form of a casual tee, a bralet or jumper, the choice is yours.
- If you’re not a fan of baring all, a simple tie at the bottom of your shirt can create a modest version of the look, showing off a peek of skin.
- Casual tees, slouchy sweaters and loose cami tops look great tucked into skinny jeans as the flowing fabric contrasts the tight fight of the jeans well.
- They also work as a super casual look when paired with straight-leg or boyfriend jeans.
- Wide-leg jeans work best with fitted tops as this balances out the proportions.
- For the ultimate seventies style, pair a pussybow blouse with your vintage high waisted jeans in a bootcut or flared finish.
- To update the look, tuck a simple tank top into your high waisted flare jeans and wear with modern accessories.
- If you’re layering your look with a jacket, either go cropped or long. Avoid those that sit at the hip.
- Dress high waisted Levi jeans up with a shirt tucked into the waistband. For a smart-casual spin, wear over your jeans with just the front corner tucked in.
- Mix masculine and feminine by pairing your high rise skinny jeans with brogues and a shirt.
- Roll up the cuffs to show off a pair of statement shoes. Or if you’re wearing skinnies, tuck the cuffs into your boots.
- High waisted skinny jeans work well with almost any shoe.
- High waist wide leg jeans are better suited to heeled shoes, though you can get away with it if you roll up the cuffs of straight-leg jeans or if the leg length isn’t too long for you.
- If you need to wear higher shoes with your jeans but don’t want your feet to suffer, try a pair of comfortable flatforms or boots with a chunky heel.
Coloured High Waisted Jeans
Coloured jeans are great way to mix up your denim look. Here we take you through some of the best to shop now:
White High Waisted Pants
Red High Waisted Pants
Khaki High Waisted Jeans
Nude High Waisted Jeans
Watch this short video for ideas on how to style coloured jeans:
Your Quick Guide To Wearing High Waisted Jeans
Use this cheat sheet to help you find the perfect high waisted pants and avoid a changing room meltdown:
- Petite girls should opt for mid-high rise waists and stick to skinny jeans. This will add the illusion of height and elongate your legs.
- If you’re 5’10 and above, look for an inner leg measurement of at least 30 inches.
- Wide waistbands flatten the stomach and flatter curves beautifully.
- High waisted stretch jeans hug a curvy figure in all the right places.
- High waisted bootcut jeans are great for wider hips as the shape balances out your proportions.
- A high waist looks great styled with a cropped top. Wear a tied shirt over your jeans for a modest version of this look.
- Casual, slouchy tops work well with high rise skinny jeans, whilst fitted tops work well with wide-leg jeans.
- Create a 70s vibe by pairing your high waisted flare jeans with a pussybow blouse. Or give them a modern update by wearing with a simple tank top and contemporary accessories.
- Roll up the cuffs to show off a pair of statement shoes.
- High waist wide leg jeans most often require higher shoes. Choose flatforms or a chunky heel for a comfortable option.
High Waisted Jeans: Final Note
As you can see, high waisted jeans are incredibly ingenious in their design, with the ability to both flatter and create curves. Knowing which fit suits your body shape is essential in getting this look right but, once you find the perfect pair, they won’t let you down.
Read more great articles on women’s fashion at alexie.co.