Dressing for a date night can be tricky. Whether you’re wondering what to wear on a first date, or you want to look good for your boyfriend or husband, you need to feel beautiful and comfortable. We’ve made it simple for you with these 12 casual date night outfit ideas.
12 Casual Date Night Outfits
Take a look at our chosen date night styles for some inspiration. Whether you’re looking for a casual date dress, something to wear on the beach, or want some cute date outfits for spring and summer, we have the style for you. Alternatively, if you’re girl who lives in her jeans, check out our casual denim looks.
We also have a Christmas date night outfit for those of you who are worried about being festive without looking tacky. And if you need to wrap up warm without hiding yourself under all those layers, our casual date night outfits winter will inspire you.
The Casual Date Dress
The Cute Date Outfit
The Casual Friday Night Outfit
The Beach Date Outfit
The Simple Spring Date Outfit
The Autumn Date Dress
The Casual Date Night Outfit for Winter
The Festive Date Night
The Date Night Maternity Outfit
Maternity wear has come a long way from floaty dresses and elasticated jeans. Dorothy Perkins has a stylish range for expectant mothers so you can feel fashionable and comfortable on your date nights with the dad-to-be.
Celeb Style Inspiration
If you want to take some style advice from the celebrities, check out the looks below. The cashmere jumper worn by Eva Longoria is worth the large price tag as it as an investment piece you can wear autumn through to winter.
Michelle Keegan’s casual date night style is a great look for those in their late-20s or 30s. Alternatively, if you prefer a smart/casual look, Jessica Alba’s monochrome style is a great example of how day to night outfits can take you straight from your desk to your date.
Preparing for Your Date Night
Raiding your friend’s wardrobe or scouring the high street for date night dresses isn’t the only preparation ahead of a night out with your beau.
If you’re lucky enough to live in London, you can take advantage of a hot new trend: mobile beauty treatments delivered straight to your door.
- Priv – Described as ‘Uber’s better-looking sibling’, if you download this app you can have beauty treatments in your home within the hour.
- Blow – Expert beauty services to your door from 7am till late. Plus get £10 off your first order.
- Milk Beauty – If you need an emergency mani-pedi, wax or massage in your home, they are the beauty service to contact.
If you don’t live in London, you can still check out the mobile stylists in your area to see what treatments they provide. Alternatively, take a look at our simple hair and makeup tips below to finish off your dashing dinner outfits.
These celebrities have mastered the casual look effortlessly. Fearne Cotton’s blonde bob isn’t over-styled and frames her face beautifully. If you have a fringe like Rose Byrne, loosely pull the rest of your hair back in a bun, leaving a few strands hanging down. The ‘half up half down’ style is perfect for women with long or short hair if you want it off your face, but like to leave some curls hanging down.
Take a look at the rest of our celebrity looks below for more style inspiration.
Make Up Inspiration
The key to casual date night makeup is to keep it looking natural and clean. You want to look like yourself, especially on a first date, so it is better to keep your makeup minimal and avoid the overdone look. But if you do want to make a statement, choose a bold lipstick.
Don’t forget to take the essentials with you on your date to top up your look.
Handbag Essentials Checklist
- Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder – £3.99 – A shiny face is never a good look. Keep your face powder in your bag at all times.
- Soap & Glory™ Thick & Fast HD Mascara High Definition Collagen*Coat – £10.50 / Smashbox Limitless Eyeliner – £16 – Do you sometimes forget you’re wearing makeup and rub your eye? Don’t forget to pop these two essentials in your bag to neaten them up.
- L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Exclusive Reds Lipstick – £6.99 – If you’ve chosen a bold colour you don’t want it to fade halfway through your date.
- Magnifying Compact Mirror – A quick glance before your date arrives, or to check that you’ve got nothing in your teeth; don’t be left embarrassed without your mirror.
- Tangle Teezer Compact Styler – £12.25 – Flyaway hair is a pain so always keep a brush handy, and an emergency bobble could save you if you get too windswept or hot.
What to Wear on a Date: Top Tips
- Makeup should be kept natural and clean looking.
- Don’t over-style your hair. The half up, half down style is very popular at the moment.
- Accessories can make an outfit for a date. Add some bangles or a statement necklace to finish the look.
- Dress for the date you are on. For instance, don’t be afraid to wrap up if it’s cold; you can still look stylish.
With our date night outfit ideas, you’ll be looking stylish and comfortable in no time. All that’s left now is to relax and let your date get to know the real you.
Read more great articles on women’s fashion.
Last reviewed and updated on April 15, 2023