Today, we’re diving into the world of ash blonde hair, a shade that’s taken the beauty scene by storm. Forget your traditional blondes and blondes; ash blonde is where it’s at if you want to make a statement while keeping it chic. We’ll cover everything from what makes this hue unique to how to achieve and maintain it like a pro. Spoiler alert: It’s not as high maintenance as you might think, but it does require some love and care. If you’re looking for a color change that’s both sophisticated and edgy, I can’t recommend ash blonde enough. So grab your notepad; you’ll want to jot down some of these tips. Let’s get into it!
Barely There Ash Blonde
Let’s start simple. Barely There, Ash Blonde is like your regular blonde but with a dash of mysterious gray. It’s a chic and subtle way to test the ash-blonde waters without diving headfirst into the silver pool. A personal favorite for those “I need a change but not a drastic one” moments.
Ash Blonde Highlights On Brunette
Brunettes, you’re included. Adding ash-blonde highlights can seriously elevate your dark locks. I’ve done it, and let me tell you, those balayage streaks make your hair look luxe and multi-dimensional.
Ash Blonde With Gray Undertones
Ready to level up? Add some gray undertones. It’s not entirely platinum; it’s richer, giving you a unique, age-defying look. Who says gray can’t be chic?
Rose Tinted Ash Blonde
Okay, here’s where things get spicy. Mix ash blonde with rose gold, and what do you get? A muted, edgy rose tint that’s a total crowd-pleaser. I once rocked this at a festival, and the compliments wouldn’t stop coming!
Platinum Ash Blonde
If you’re already a platinum queen but want to try something new, give it an ashy twist. The result is a high-impact, icy look that turns heads. Who doesn’t want to shine bright like a diamond?
Ash Blonde Babylights
Need just a pinch of change? Babylights to the rescue! These tiny, delicate highlights will give your hair that extra pop without screaming, “Look at me!” Perfect for those who love subtlety but still crave a little pizzazz.
Chocolate Ash Blonde
Chocolate Ash Blonde is your buddy for those not ready to embrace full-on gray. It adds profound depth and helps you gradually phase into the gray life. I rocked this shade last winter, and it’s the cozy sweater of hair colors.
Buttery Ash Blonde
If you’re a fan of classic buttery blonde, take it up a notch with a hint of ash. Imagine sipping a piña colada under a winter sun; that’s the vibe you’ll be channeling. Trust me, your Instagram selfies will thank you.
Ash Blonde Ombré
Ombré still exists in our hearts, especially when it involves ash blonde. It’s easy to grow out and add another color to the mix if you get bored. Basically, it’s the Swiss Army knife of hairstyles.
Blondes and brunettes, why not both? Ash Bronde is a sultry blend that offers the best of both worlds. This shade had me feeling like a femme fatale, so try it out and unleash your inner vixen.
Coppery Ash Blonde
Wanna catch my eye? Add a coppery twist to your ash blonde. This look has depth and glow that’ll make your skin shine, too. Check with your stylist to find the perfect balance for your complexion.
Silver Ash Blonde Highlights
Let’s talk sophistication. These silver highlights are a low-commitment way to go ash, yet they add a world of refinement to your look. Ideal for that fancy event where you want to slay without overshadowing the bride, am I right?
Light Ash Blonde
Light ash could be the mature upgrade you’ve been looking for if you’ve been a blonde devotee since your teen years. It adds a silvery sheen that says, “I’m grown-up, but still know how to have fun.”
White Ash Blonde Hair
White ash is your VIP ticket to the cool-girl club. With dark roots, it’s edgy but elegant. Just pair it with a bold lip, and you’re Instagram-ready.
Holographic Ash Blonde Hair
For the trendsetters among us, holographic ash blonde is your summer anthem. This technique gives you a reflective, multi-tonal mane that’s nothing short of show-stopping. It’s not for the faint-hearted but is 100% for the fabulous.
Platinum Ash Blonde: Go Bold or Go Home
Platinum ash blonde is not for the timid, but if you’re up for it, you’re in for a show-stopping look. I tried this one out last summer, and let me tell you, I felt like a real-life ice queen. Just remember, this hue demands attention, so commit to the upkeep!
Balayage Beauty: Ash Blonde Edition
Balayage is a beautiful thing, and ash blonde balayage? Even better! The hand-painted highlights brighten up your whole look. But take it from me: listen carefully to your stylist’s care tips. Platinum shades need a bit more TLC to keep their cool vibes.
Beachy Ash Blonde: Surf’s Up
Beachy waves and ash blonde locks are like peanut butter and jelly; they go together. A spritz of texturizing sprays, like Pureology’s Wind Tossed Texture Finish Spray, can work wonders. Even if you’re landlocked, your hair will scream, “I’m beach-ready!”
Lazy Girl’s BFF: Ash Blonde with Dark Roots
Are you dreading those root touch-ups? Well, consider ash blonde with dark roots. This lived-in look is stylish yet low-maintenance, and it’s a lifesaver during those hectic weeks when a salon visit isn’t in the cards.
Bobbing for Ash Blonde
Why lug around extra hair length when you could be slaying a bright, ashy bob? I once took the plunge and chopped it all off; let me tell you, it felt so liberating. Combine that freedom with a pop of ash, and you’re turning heads left and right.
Lighten Up With An Ashy Blonde Lob
A long bob, or “lob,” is a winter wonderland when you add ashy blonde highlights to a dark base. Instant mood-lifter, promise!
Keep It Cool: The Expert’s Ash Blonde
Cool ash blonde might be your next move if you’re already in the “no brass” club. Just be ready to go the extra mile with hair care. Use a purple toning conditioner, like Redken’s Color Extend Blondage, to keep things looking fresh.
Honey, I Blew Up the Volume: Honey Ash Blonde
For an illusion of fuller locks, honey ash blonde is your go-to. Just a touch of this radiant hue, and voila! Depth and dimension without any of those pesky extensions.
Caramel Dream: Caramel Ash Blonde
Ready for a softer vibe? Trade those darker shades for a cozy caramel sprinkled with ash-blonde notes. It’s like a warm hug for your hair, seriously.
Social Media Star: Crystal Ash Blonde
Last but not least, let’s talk about the trending crystal ash. This beauty starts with a medium ash-brown base and transitions into ethereal ashy white ends. I can see why it had its moment on Instagram last year!
And there you have it—your cheat sheet for rocking ash-blonde like a pro. No matter which shade you choose, you’re bound to look fabulous. Don’t forget to snap a selfie; your new hair deserves a moment in the spotlight!
My 7 Tips To Achieve And Maintain Ash Blonde Hair In 2023!
- Consult Your Stylist – First things first have a heart-to-heart with your stylist. Please show them some inspo pics and discuss your hair’s history. Trust me, they want to know everything — from the boxed dyes you regret to your last salon visit. The more they know, the better they can guide you.
- The Bleaching Process – Now comes the bleaching session. I can’t emphasize this enough: Leave it to the professionals. We all have that friend who tried to go blonde at home and ended up with, well, not blonde. To get ash blonde, your stylist will often bleach your hair to remove any existing pigments, which can be damaging if not done correctly. Your stylist will decide how many bleaching sessions you need based on your hair color.
- Toning It Up – After bleaching, your hair’s gonna look more like a yellow crayon than a Hollywood starlet. That’s where toning comes in. Toning neutralizes the brassy yellow and orange tones, giving you that dreamy ash-blonde hue. Your stylist will have a range of toners to pick from to achieve the exact ash-blonde shade you’re after.
- Maintenance, Baby! – Keeping ash-blonde hair looking fabulous is more work than your essential shampoo and go. You’ll want a purple shampoo and conditioner in your shower caddy. The purple counteracts any brassy tones that might sneak up between salon visits. I swear by products like Redken’s Color Extend Blondage.
- Regular Salon Visits – You’ll see your stylist more often than some family members. Plan for touch-ups every 4–6 weeks to keep that color looking fresh and to treat any damage.
- Deep Conditioning – Your hair’s gonna be thirsty after all that bleach and toning. A deep-conditioning mask once a week will help keep your locks soft and shiny. Trust me; it’s a game-changer.
- Heat Protection – Lastly, limit heat styling and always use a heat protectant. We don’t want you to fry that gorgeous ash blonde, do we?
5 Tips For Choosing The Right Shade Of Ash Blonde For Your Skin Tone
So, you’re all set to hop on the ash blonde train, but wait—what shade of ash blonde will make you look like the radiant diva you are? Don’t fret! After playing with every shade in the book and chatting with color pros, I’ve got some golden (or “ashen”?) tips to help you find the perfect ash blonde for your skin tone.
- If You’re Fair Skinned: Go Light and Cool – Light ash-blonde tones can be absolutely ethereal on you if you have fair skin. Think platinum ash or even a silvery ash vibe. Remember when I went platinum ash? Ah, it was a heavenly match with my pale complexion. I felt like a winter queen! Just be sure to wear sunscreen; fair skin is often sun-sensitive.
- Medium Skin Tones: Think Warmth – You lucky ducks with medium skin tones can pull off a broader spectrum of ash-blonde hues. Honey or caramel ash can add a lovely, warm glow that complements your skin. I have a friend with olive undertones who went for caramel ash, and let me tell you, she looks like she’s glowing 24/7!
- Dark Skin: Add Depth with Lowlights – If you have dark skin, you can rock ash blonde, too! But the key is to add depth and dimension with lowlights. Go for a chocolate ash or even an ashy bronde. Please don’t go too light; otherwise, it can wash you out. My cousin tried ash blonde with dark roots and chocolate lowlights, but the compliments have continued.
- Need Help With Your Undertones? – Look at the veins on your wrist. Are they blue or green? If they’re blue, you likely have cool undertones. If they’re green, you probably have warm undertones. Cool undertones often work best with more silvery versions of ash blonde, while warmer undertones can rock more honey and caramel ashy shades.
- When in Doubt, Consult a Pro – If you still need to figure out the perfect shade of ash blonde, your stylist is just a consultation away. Please take a couple of pictures and ask for their expert opinion. After all, these peeps make hair dreams come true every day.
Picking the perfect shade of ash blonde doesn’t have to be a guessing game. With these tips, you’re well on your way to hair that doesn’t just turn heads—it practically snaps necks! Now, go on and take the ash-blonde plunge. And don’t forget to show off your new do, okay?
6 Potential Risks To Dyeing Your Hair Ash Blonde That I Think You Should Know About
So, you’re amped about diving into the ash blonde pool—fab choice, by the way! But wait, let’s pump the brakes for a second. While ash blonde is all sorts of dreamy, it’s worth knowing a couple of caveats before you commit. As someone who’s dabbled in my fair share of colors (and learned some lessons the hard way), here are some real talk deets you need to know.
- Say Hello to Chemicals – Dyeing your hair often involves bleach, especially if you’re going darker to lighter. Bleach can be harsh, causing dryness, breakage, and even scalp irritation. That time I went from brunette to platinum ash? Yeah, my hair felt like straw for a while. So make sure you’re ready for some deep conditioning love.
- Upkeep, Upkeep, Upkeep – Ash-blonde can be high-maintenance, guys. It’s prone to turning brassy, meaning you’ll need toners, purple shampoos, and frequent touch-ups. My shower shelf looks like a hair product shop these days, no joke!
- Cost Factor – Since ash blonde requires regular upkeep, get ready for multiple salon visits—and we all know that salon quality isn’t cheap. But hey, beauty is an investment, right?
- Patch Test, Please! – I can’t stress this enough—do a patch test before you go all-in. It’ll help you avoid any unexpected allergic reactions. Trust me, an itchy scalp is not cute.
- Choose Your Stylist Wisely – Quality varies from stylist to stylist. A bad dye job can leave you with a patchy color or even damage your hair. So, please research and maybe even splurge for a pro who knows their stuff. My go-to stylist, Karen, is a color genius—worth every penny!
- Hair Health Check – If your hair is damaged or weak, there might be better ideas than adding bleach. I once made the mistake of going ash blonde when my hair was fried from heat styling. Big. Mistake.
Still Looking for Inspiration, Then Check Out This Video
Alright, that’s everything you need to know (I hope) on ash-blonde hair you could ever dream of! From the fearless platinum to the laid-back dark roots, there’s genuinely an ash blonde for everyone. My pro tip? Always, and I mean always, listen to your stylist’s aftercare advice. Whether it’s a purple toning conditioner or specific product recommendations, your stylist knows best. And hey, if you’re feeling a little skittish about committing to a complete ash transformation, there’s no harm in dipping your toes in with some balayage or highlights first. Remember, your hair is your canvas, so have fun painting it the shade of ash that makes your heart sing! Until next time, keep shining, you fabulous unicorns!
Feature Image Photo By @killah.hair via Instagram