Welcome back to the blog! Today, we’re diving deep into the world of dark red hair—a shade that’s as sultry as it is versatile. Whether you’re considering switching to this bold color or are simply curious about how to maintain it, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll explore everything from the best dye brands to pro tips on making the hue last longer. Trust me, as someone who’s experimented with practically every color under the sun, dark red offers a blend of drama and sophistication that few other shades can match. So, let’s get into it, shall we?
Rock That Ruby Dark Red
Ah, Ruby Dark Red, a personal fave of mine! This shade is an absolute beauty, especially for brunettes wanting to inject some red magic into their lives. It combines deep ruby with dark red highlights, adding dimension and elevating any hairdo. Imagine it with a wavy lob—pure Instagram gold! I love the contrast it brings; it’s like accessorizing your hair without the hassle of actual accessories.
Let’s Get Vivid: Red with Dark Roots
For those of you looking to make a statement without saying a word, the Vivid Shade of Red with Dark Roots is where it’s at. It’s a fiery option I took for a spin last summer. The darker roots make it less high-maintenance, while the vivid red screams confidence. It’s a burst of energy your hair will thank you for.
Dark Burgundy, a Velvet Dream
For my lovely friends with darker skin tones, please meet Dark Burgundy. It’s a shade that doesn’t just look stunning; it enhances the warm undertones of your skin. I FEEL LIKE ROYALTY whenever I rock this color—it’s that luxurious.
Cherry Meets Bold: The Perfect Pair
Who says you can’t have depth and excitement at the same time? You can be the best of both worlds with Cherry Red Hair combined with Bold Red Highlights. It’s a rich, deep shade that packs a punch, perfect for those of you aiming for a professional yet spicy look.
Can’t Decide? Go Auburn and Dark Red Balayage
Indecision can be a good thing! You can enjoy the luxury of having it all with an Auburn-Dark Red Balayage. You get that deep root for drama, and the red streaks add pops of color that make the whole look dance. Tried it last fall, and it was a seasonal hit!
Embrace the Spice with Deep Copper
Pumpkin spice lattes, meet your hair twin: Deep Copper. This shade gives me all the warm, fuzzy feels, especially when the temperature drops. The color is rich and still so bright it can shine on any gloomy day.
Scarlet Fever: Red That Sizzles
Scarlet Red is Jessica Rabbit incarnate—glamorous, sultry, and downright stunning. If you’re ready to unleash your inner diva, this warm red shade will serve looks and then some.
Playing with Fire: Fiery Highlights
Whoever said, “Don’t play with fire,” clearly never had Fiery Highlights in their dark red mane. This one’s for my daredevils. It’s a hot combination of deep red with fiery streaks that guarantee double takes. It’s impossible to be a wallflower with this shade!
Keeping it Chill with Natural Auburn Highlights
Not all of us want our hair to enter the room before we do. Consider a Natural Auburn with highlights for a softer, more subdued approach. It’s like a whisper of red, adding just enough pizazz without going overboard.
Natural Beauty: Dark Red for Dark Skin Tones
I adore how dark red hair can pop against darker skin tones, especially in a deep shade of auburn. Add an excellent cut to the mix, and you’ve got a look that says, “Yeah, I woke up like this.”
Get Cozy with Deep Red Wine
Hey, y’all! Let’s kick things off with a shade that feels like a warm hug on a cold day: Deep Red Wine. Think of it as the love child of blonde and dark brown hair, but with a cherry-red twist that dazzlingly catches the light. I tried this shade last winter, and let me tell you, it’s the perfect partner for those cozy nights. If you’re after a balanced blend of depth and vibrant color, pour yourself a glass of this Deep Red Wine hue.
Go Bold or Go Home: Neon Shades of Dark Red
We’re talking bold streaks of red balayage on a dark base here, people. It’s ombre, but make it red and dark. This is your ticket to being the life of the party, and let’s face it, who doesn’t want that?
Get Artsy with Dark Auburn Highlights
Want to add a touch of art to your hair game? Smudge in multiple shades of dark red, mainly focusing on reddish tones around the face. It’s like contouring but for your hair.
Be Unforgettable with Dark Cherry Red
Last but not least, let’s talk about Dark Cherry Red. This shade is merlot meets Burgundy, with a glossy finish that makes thick hair look like it’s been kissed by the gods. That cherry red piece around the face? An absolute showstopper.
Catch the Light with Bright Copper Glow
Bright Copper Glow is your go-to if you’re after that ‘stop and stare’ kind of red. I rocked this last spring, and the way it caught the natural light was breathtaking. This shade adds a captivating glow without pushing you into neon territory.
Short & Sweet: Dark Red Brown Hair
Hey lovelies! Let’s start with a classic: short, dark red-brown hair. Can we talk about how luscious this look is? This single shade packs a punch, Perfect for deep and warm skin tones. I rocked this look one autumn, and the compliments just rolled in. If you’re after a low-maintenance yet impactful look, this one’s a home run.
Curls and Highlights: A Dynamic Duo
If you’re a dimension fan, say hello to dark red hair with highlights and curls. The multi-tonal palette takes the depth to a new level. When I tried this look, I curled my hair to enhance those beautiful shades—trust me, you’ll turn heads as the hues dance in your locks!
Romance in Waves: Long Dark Crimson Red
Ah, Crimson, the shade of love and nobility! This color is elegant, especially when combined with cascading curls. Use a curling rod and brush your hair for that dreamy body wave effect. You’ll see those warm red tones peek through like little flames.
Corkscrew Perfection: Natural Dark Red Hair
Naturalistas, this one’s for you! Dark red hair on corkscrew curls is a surprise. A big shoutout to colorists who can lift those ends to a perfect auburn while keeping those curls healthy and springy. My top tip? Invest in a good curl cream to maintain that bounce!
Festival Vibes: Boho Dark Red Hair for Pale Skin
Boho chic, anyone? This dark brown-red hair makes me want to throw on a flower crown and hit the nearest festival. With subtle highlights and natural waves, this is your go-to for that free-spirited vibe. If you’re fair-skinned like me, this will warm up your complexion beautifully.
The Sultry Choice: Deep Burgundy
Deep Burgundy is luxury in the shade—bright, expensive-looking, and shiny. If interested, dive deeper into plum hair color ideas because this shade flatters all skin tones. It’s sultry luscious, and you’ll feel like a million bucks.
Dazzling Dimension: Dark Ruby Red Hair
Ruby red, y’all, is a jewel—literally! This shade has so many layers of color that it adds an eye-popping dimension. The contrast between the deep red underlayer and the brighter ruby on top is a visual feast.
Edgy Chic: Black and Red Ombre
Let your inner rock star shine with this black-to-red ombre look. The layers make the color transition even more captivating. If you love an edgy touch, you’ll feel right at home with this choice.
Trendsetter Alert: Fiery Copper Hair
Spice it up with fiery copper tones, achieved through blended baby lights and a lightened face frame. Copper over a dark red base is like adding hot sauce to your tacos—unexpected but absolutely delicious.
Subtle Beauty: Dark Red Curly Shag
Let’s talk shag cuts with a dark red twist. Lighter ends give it a sun-kissed touch, so subtle you’ll have people guessing. This look is unique for my curly-haired beauties; it adds a little “je ne sais quoi” that you won’t get enough of.
The Autumn Dream: Dark Auburn Hair
Hey, gorgeous people! Let’s kick things off with a hue that screams pumpkin spice lattes and cozy scarves—dark auburn. Paired with a trendy shaggy bob, it’s a look that shines differently in various lighting. I rocked this color last fall, and it felt like I had an autumnal halo. So, if you want to match the season, look no further!
Curl Power: Dark Red Natural Hair
Curl queens, stand up! Going dark red Burgundy with an ombre effect is magic for your curls, especially on darker skin tones. The dark roots and brighter ends create this exciting contrast. I remember trying this out one summer and how the sun hit those red hues—honey, it was a sight!
Pale-Skin Friendly: Lowlights for Natural Redheads
If you’re on the fair side and worried that dark red might be too harsh, I’ve got a solution for you. Ask your colorist for a bold “money piece” panel around your hairline; it’ll soften the look and make it pop. I’ve done this with red shades, and it truly gives you that wow factor without being overpowering.
Effortlessly Chic: Natural Auburn Balayage
Brunettes, I remembered you! Go for a rich dark red and blend it with some bright copper shades. The result? A naturally warm, glowing aura. When I tried this, it felt like every hair flip was a tiny fireworks display. Seriously, you have to see it to believe it.
Sassy and Short: Dark Red Hair with Copper Highlights
How about adding a mix of copper and red for my TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro) divas? Keep the sides and back darker, and let the ombre on top do the talking. I adore this look; it adds texture and depth while keeping things spicy!
Why Choose One? Two-Tone Deep Red
Indecisive souls, this one’s for you. Why settle for one shade of red when you can have deep Burgundy and vivid red? The combination adds an exciting edge to your natural dark locks. I went for this dual-tone once; let me tell you, it was like having a party in my head!
Classy Vibes: Dark Red-Brown Hair with Caramel Highlights
If you want a more classic look, try mixing dark red-brown with caramel and chocolate highlights. The result is a radiant yet understated style. My tip? Make the highlights chunky for a trendy look that frames your face perfectly.
Spice It Up Dark Hair with Chili Pepper Highlights
Ready to go bold? Think deep Burgundy with lighter red highlights to add that zesty flair. The blend of shades is low-maintenance yet absolutely eye-catching. And for my dark-skinned beauties with green eyes, this color will make you stand out most fabulously!
Keep It Chic: Deep Auburn Red
Deep auburn offers burnt brown elegance without going overboard for those leaning towards a natural look. It’s low-key, yet you’ll still catch those second glances. Perfect for the ‘I woke up like this’ days if you ask me!
Mastering Dimension: Dark Red with Highlights and Lowlights
Last, if you’re all about that depth, combine highlights and lowlights in your dark red mane. Choose a skilled colorist because this look thrives on professional execution. When I went for this, I felt like I had a mane of cascading rubies—absolutely stunning!
What Are The Best Dye Brands For Dark Red Hair?
Ah, the million-dollar question! Picking the right dye brand can make all the difference between luscious, long-lasting red locks and a faded fiasco. Here are some of my tried-and-true recommendations:
- L’Oréal Paris Feria – Their red shades are rich and multi-faceted. Plus, they’ve got an excellent range of dark reds, perfect for a vibrant look that won’t quickly fade.
- Schwarzkopf Igora Royal – Ideal for those who are looking for salon-quality color. The pigment is intense, and the dye leaves your hair feeling luxurious.
- Wella Koleston Perfect – A salon favorite for a reason! Their reds are super vibrant and offer excellent coverage. If you’ve got stubborn grays, this could be your go-to.
- Manic Panic – For those who are into a more punk or alternative vibe, Manic Panic offers some killer dark reds. Plus, it’s vegan and cruelty-free!
- Garnier Nutrisse Cream – If you’re all about that natural, nourished look, Garnier’s dyes are enriched with avocado oil. Their dark red shades are both rich and long-lasting.
- Clairol Nice and Easy – Great for beginners, it’s easy to use and offers various red shades that give a natural-looking finish.
- Arctic Fox – Another vegan and cruelty-free option known for its non-fading, long-lasting colors. Perfect if you’re looking for a more ethical choice.
- Revlon Colorsilk – A budget-friendly option that still provides a vibrant, long-lasting color. It’s ammonia-free and comes with a conditioner to keep your locks shiny.
- Madison Reed – If you’re leaning towards a more personalized at-home experience, Madison Reed offers fantastic online consultations and a range of reds that cater to various undertones.
- Redken Color Gels Lacquers – Salon-grade and absolutely worth the price if you want a professionally done look. The colors are incredibly vibrant and long-lasting.
Remember, always do a strand test first to ensure the color is what you’re aiming for, and please, for the love of good hair, remember to patch test for allergies. Happy dyeing!
My Pro Tips To Help Maintain Dark Red Hair For Longer
Oh, the joys and challenges of rocking dark red hair! You’re looking fabulous, but let’s keep it that way, shall we? Dark red hair is a showstopper but needs tender, loving care to stay vibrant and healthy. Here are some tips that have served me well:
- Shampoo Less Often – First and foremost, you’ve got to resist the urge to shampoo every day. Doing so can strip your hair of its natural oils and that gorgeous color. Aim for 2-3 times a week, max. When you do shampoo, use sulfate-free options; they’re gentler on your color.
- Use Color-Safe Products – Invest in shampoos and conditioners that are specifically designed for colored hair. They’re formulated to preserve the vibrancy of your hue and generally offer UV protection to prevent fading from the sun. One of my favorites is Redken’s Color Extend Magnetics line.
- Cold Water is Your New BFF – Say goodbye to hot showers, at least for your hair. Rinsing with cold water will keep your hair cuticles closed, helping to lock in the color and boost shine. Trust me; it’s a small change that makes a big difference!
- Deep Conditioning – I’m a big fan of regular deep-conditioning sessions. Once a week, treat your locks to a hydrating hair mask or even a DIY olive oil and avocado mask. You’ll keep your hair healthy and better retain that dark red hue.
- Limit Heat Styling – If you’re like me and love your straighteners, curlers, and hair dryers, here’s some bad news: excessive heat can fade your lovely red locks faster than you can say “bad hair day.” Use heat protectant sprays when styling and try to limit heat use to special occasions.
- Regular Touch-Ups – Depending on the brand and type of dye, you may need to touch up your hair color every 4-6 weeks. For those in-between times, color-depositing conditioners can help maintain the vibrancy. Please don’t go overboard; we don’t want unintentional clown vibes!
- Mind the Sun and Chlorine – Last but not least, UV rays and chlorine are known color-faders. Use hair products with UV protection, and consider rocking a chic hat when you’re out in the sun. If you’re a swimmer, wet your hair with fresh water before taking the plunge—this limits the amount of chlorinated water your hair can absorb.
- Pre-Color Prep – Before applying that luscious dark red dye, consider a clarifying shampoo to remove any product buildup. Starting with a clean canvas helps the dye penetrate better, making the color last longer.
- Use a Color Depositing Conditioner – This is an insider secret many people overlook. These conditioners are like a mini color refresh every time you use them. They add a small amount of color that regular washing and daily life might strip away. I personally adore the Overtone conditioners—they’re a game-changer.
- Vinegar Rinse – You might think I’ve lost it, but a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse can enhance color longevity. It balances your scalp’s pH and seals your hair cuticle, making it harder for the color to escape. Just rinse thoroughly unless you want to smell like a salad!
- Lay Off the Dry Shampoo – Sure, it’s a lifesaver on lazy days, but excessive use of dry shampoo can lead to a dull appearance. If you must use it, opt for one that’s color-safe and use it sparingly.
- Skip the Silicones – Check your hair products for silicones, which can create a barrier that prevents the color from penetrating deep into the hair shaft. Stick to silicone-free products to ensure your color treatment is as effective as possible.
- High-Quality Dye – If you’re coloring at home, keep the quality of the dye high. Professional-grade products are formulated to last longer and often contain nourishing ingredients that keep your hair healthy (and hold color longer).
- Professional Gloss Treatment – If you’ve got a special event and want that color-looking chef’s kiss perfect, consider a professional gloss treatment a week or two before. This will refresh your color and give you an incredible shine.
- Olaplex, Olaplex, Olaplex – If you haven’t heard of it, Olaplex is a revolutionary product that repairs the disulfide bonds in your hair that can be damaged during coloring. Strong, healthy hair holds onto color much better than damaged hair. Ask for it at your salon or buy the at-home treatment; it’s worth every penny.
Still Looking for Inspiration, Then Check Out This Video
Alright, that wraps up our journey through the vibrant world of dark red hair. From cozy autumn vibes to sassy two-tones, there’s a shade of red for every mood and skin tone. My top tips? If you’re fair-skinned, don’t shy away—add a money piece for softness. For those with curls, the ombre effect is your BFF. And remember, your colorist is your partner in crime, so choose someone skilled to bring your red dreams to life. So schedule that salon appointment and unleash your inner redhead. Life’s too short for dull hair. Happy coloring!
Feature Image Photo By @josh.does.hair via Instagram